I spent most of January in Europe throwing Euros at every meal and experience I could find. Coming back to reality I have realised that February is going to have to be a particularly frugal month. Post ski-trip or not, I think many people find their festive spending catches up with them in Feb, and have to look at ways to tighten the purse strings for this 28 day straight. Here are some suggestions:
1. Entertainer App
Last year Hayley always had a suggestion of where we should eat. I soon cottoned on that this was because she had Entertainer App and was luring us to its many ‘buy one, get one free’ establishments. Entertainer pays for itself once you have used it about three times. You download the app and buy the package for your area (in our case, Johannesburg/Pretoria) for R495 and you are provided with a vast array of restaurants, salons, and leisure options where you ‘buy one get one free.’ For each establishment you get three of these specials and they are valid until the end of 2017.
- Indian food: Raj in Nicolway – buy one main meal get one free
- Switch Gym in Lonehill: Take a friend and pay half each with ‘buy one get one free’
- Blow Dry at The Hairdressing Team at Cramerview Centre: ‘buy one get one free’
Booze is where a lot of meals become expensive. I often forget how much sense it makes to bring your own even if one has to pay corkage. Add this to an ‘Entertainer’ meal and you will make some significant savings. Here is what some of my favourite restaurants charge in corkage:
- The Braai Room R50 (and great value for food)
- Simply Asia R50 (and great value for food)
- Chaplins Grill R55 (on Entertainer)
- Angelo’s Kitchen R45 (on Entertainer)
- Wombles R100
- Baron on Main R60
- Ghazal R65
I mentioned the great understated Italian restaurant, Amarcord, in my post of fail-safe date spots. Here you can bring as many bottles of whatever through the door with you and they won’t blink an eyelash or charge you a cent. Some other ‘no corkage’ restaurants I have discovered in Joburg include:
- Hussar Grill (Steak House): U51, Morningside Shopping Centre, Cnr Rivonia Road and Outspan Road, Morningside, Rivonia Rd, Johannesburg, 2196
- J’s Diner, Blairgowrie (Portuguese): 64 Conrad Dr, Randburg, 2194
- Franco’s Pizzeria & Trattoria, Parkview (no corkage on first bottle): 54 Tyrone Avenue, Parkview
Let’s face it, we don’t exactly have the Sea Point promenade at our disposal, but we do have Park Runs and some other decent running options that are scot free.
My favourite is to run around St Stithians school. This ‘ring road’ is a 3km loop with some tough hills and is the perfect training run – start with one loop, build up to two, then three, etc. Park at the campus restaurant, Higher Ground, and treat yourself to a well-earned cappuccino after your run (R22) while enjoying an unparalleled view of the JHB and Sandton sky line. Higher Ground: 40 Peter Place, Sandton, 2060
Timed 5km Park Runs can be done from Riverside (Bryaston) and at Lonehill Park on Saturdays at 8am. http://www.parkrun.co.za/
Many runners are also following the lead of cyclists and making their way out to The Cradle to run. Wherever you choose, sign up for a race to work towards (some ideas below) and get running because you won’t find a cheaper way to get fit!
- 19th February: Pirates Joburg’s Toughest 21.1km
- 18th March: Om die Dam Half and Ultra Marathon
- 02 April: Jackie Gibson Marathon and 5th Allan Ferguson 21.1km & new 10km
Hours: Walkhaven Dog Park is open 7 days a week from 7am to 6:30pm
Address: Walkhaven Dog Park, Plot 77, Zwartkop
Whether you are a crazy dog person like me (I host my dogs’ annual birthday party here) or just enjoy a good picnic, Walkhaven is a wonderful and inexpensive outing. Your dogs get in free and can run off leash and swim and socialize to their hearts’ content. Entrance will only cost you R35 and you can bring your own picnic -there are many lovely picnic spots and braai areas (they also have a very affordable restaurant). This is a truly delightful way to spend a weekend day and your dogs will have the time of their life!
Book a free, no obligation valuation with one of our real estate agent - all in less than a minute!Book a valuation
Stay up to date
Would you like to get property tips delivered straight to your inbox?Sign up for our newsletter