With a chilly winter upon us, ongoing load shedding coupled with Eskom’s recent whopping 9.61% electricity tariff hike stretching already lean home budgets, South Africans are looking for ways to keep our homes and ourselves as warm and toasty as possible this winter, while using less electricity. Make the following smart moves ahead of the cold snap and stay warm and cosy all winter long.
Insulate, insulate, insulate
Cold air can leak into your home through the smallest and most unexpected of spaces. Mind the gap. Keep keys inside keyholes and block gaps in window frames and beneath doors to prevent draughts.
- Throw carpets and rugs over bare floors and cold floor tiles for instant style and underfoot warmth.
- “Blanket” your home by hanging thick curtains or blinds over windows.
- Wrap your geyser in a geyser blanket to insulate it and retain hot water temperature for longer, particularly during load shedding switch-off.
- Insulation is a game-changer, keeping your home and yourself warm in winter and cool in summer. Hire a professional to insulate your ceilings. Approximately 40 – 51% of heat is lost through your roof.
- Layer on clothing to keep snug and warm.
Alternative warming ideas
- Keep blankets and throws handy to layer on when temperatures drop.
- Dress your bed in soft winter linen. Shop for soft flannel, fleece and thermal linen here.
- Get off the grid as much as possible! Heat your home with gas. Gas heaters are efficient and economical to run and easy to move about. Gas cookers keep you cooking and your energy consumption low. Trust me. Your wallet will thank you for it.
- Go green with a solar geyser. With our year-round sunny South African skies, it’s a no-brainer to heat your geyser using the sun’s rays.
- If you’re lucky enough to have one, light your fireplace as there’s nothing nicer than a crackling fireplace to gather around with your family on a cold winter’s day. Don’t forget to have your fireplace and chimney professionally swept before the start of winter.
- Take a hot bath or shower.
- Lastly, nothing beats grabbing a hot chocolate and snuggling up with your loved one!